27 February 2012

Movie Monday: Oscar Time!

I L-O-V-E love the Academy Awards.  I think I might get more excited for them than I do the Super Bowl.  Scratch that -- I definitely get more excited about the Oscars.  And this year I seemed to be even more into them.  I try to make it a habit to see as many nominated films as I can, but this year it was easy.  They were all movies I had already seen or wanted to see before I knew they were nominated.  All in all, I'd say 2011 was a good year for Hollywood.  There were so many great performances.  I myself was so torn between Viola Davis (The Help) and Meryl Streep (The Iron Lady) for best actress.  You all know that I love me some Meryl.  Mamma Mia Meryl and Out of Africa Meryl.  Bridges of Madison County Meryl and The Devil Wears Prada Meryl.  The woman can literally do no wrong in my book.  But Viola Davis deserved the Oscar too.  Her performance in The Help moved me to tears (well, more tears than usual -- what can I say, I'm a weeper).  Was she snubbed, I don't know.  But both she and Meryl Streep have been so gracious and supporting of one another during the award season and it's so refreshing.  I know that The Help has its critics, but I'll stand by it as a film with mainstream appeal that touched a lot of people.  I mean, we took my grandma to see it.  Speaking of my grandma -- I went to her house to watch the Oscars this year.  We played Oscar Bingo.  It was pretty awesome.  You know what else was pretty awesome?  Uggie the dog from The Artist in a tuxedo on stage when they won best film.  Another deserving win.  I can't wait till next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment