30 January 2012

Two Movie Monday {The Artist and Midnight in Paris}

This weekend I watched two incredible movies. On Saturday morning(yes, morning) we went to see The Artist. I'll admit, I was a little skeptical about going to see a silent film. But I was completely and utterly blown away. Jean Dujardin and Berenice Bejo magnificently capture the beauty of the bygone era of 1920s Hollywood. It's a silent film about a silent film star on his way out. So smart. And the dog, can I talk about Uggie for a minute? What a dog! He totally steals the show! He should seriously be nominated for an Oscar. And the score is incredible -- but could you really expect anything less from a silent film?


Then Saturday night, I finally got the chance to watch Woody Allen's Midnight in Paris. It's about dang time, right? Owen Wilson, Rachel McAdams, the always beautiful Marion Cotillard, and Kathy Bates as Gertrude Stein -- does it get any better than that? There was something about this film that really resonated with me. I just understood Owen Wilson's character and his desire to go back to a different time. And Paris in the 1920s? Sign me up. Scott and Zelda Fitzgerald, a young (and dashing) Hemingway, T.S. Eliot, Gertrude Stein, Picasso. I've blogged about the Lost Generation before. And this film was perfect for the wanna-be expat inside me. It was definitely interesting to think about how know matter what time period you live in, you think of the "golden age" as being some bygone era. For Owen Wilson's character that time was the 20s and for Cotillards it was the 1890s. I don't know what my golden age would be -- I'm also a fan of the 1920s, but it would be hard to turn down living in the 1960s.

If you could live in any time period, what would you choose?

No comments:

Post a Comment