01 May 2012

Tuesday Tune-Day: A Song for Illinois

Have I ever blogged about Dan Fogelberg?  I'd be surprised if I haven't.  He was an incredible singer/songwriter during the 1970s and 80s.  And we're from the same town!  Well, technically he's from Peoria, but close enough.  His father was the band director at Pekin High -- which is where my parents and grandmother went to school.  His song "Leader of the Band" is pretty great too.  But today, I have Illinois on the mind.  I'm heading home on Thursday and I can't wait to see that Peoria skyline again.  I can't wait to cross the bridge and head through Pekin.  I can't wait to be back in Green Acres -- yep, that's where I live.  Joke away.  I can't wait to spend a couple days in Monmouth.  And Saturday in Chicago.  I can't wait to spend Sunday afternoon at my grandparents' looking out over the fields.  The sound of chickens in the background.  No matter where I end up (and these days I'm kind of thinking DC), I'll always call Illinois home.

No comments:

Post a Comment