22 May 2012

Tuesday Tune-Day: Why do I like this song?


I heard this song on the local radio station about a week ago as I was driving around town.  And I've been listening to it ever since.  I'm not usually one to go for mainstream Top 40 music...or rap/hip hop or whatever you want to call it...at all.  Although, I did go through a serious gangster rap phase in junior high and the beginning of high school.  What?  I thought I was a baller. Nike headband covering one ear a necklace with my basketball number, vintage Nike kicks with the laces untied and all.  I blame movies like Love & Basketball, Save the Last Dance, and Coach Carter.  Man, how times change.  I'm glad that my music tastes have matured.  And that I grew out of the lucky basketball sweatbands.  Don't get me wrong, I'll always be more comfortable in basketball shorts than anything.   And every once and awhile a hip hop song still gets me.  Especially ones with a good message.  That's what Chris Rene has done with this track.  I can dig it.

P.S.  And in completely unrelated news -- I cannot wait to see this film! Clive Owen as Hemingway and Nicole Kidman as Martha Gellhorn?  Yes please!  You know I'm a sucker for a good period bio-flick. Especially if my man Hemingway is involved. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment