01 April 2012

Weekend Update: Pint-Sized Historians and My First Sunburn of the Season

I've discovered that southern Indiana is actually a beautiful, beautiful place.

When I woke up this morning to the sound of thunder rumbling off in the distance somewhere in the rolling hills of southern Indiana, I had no idea that I get my first sunburn of the year.  I woke up early.  6:30 am.  On a Sunday.  And I did it to watch a soccer match.  Online.  Am I crazy?  Probably.  But nothing could keep me away from watching the U.S. Women's National Team take on Japan.  The U.S. didn't play very well, but they eked out a 1-1 draw.  One day, I swear I'll have cable so I can watch games on TV.  And hopefully, one day (and hopefully that day will be in the 2012 Summer Olympics in London), the USWNT will beat Japan.

How on earth did I wake up at 6 am every day this weekend?!  Yesterday I judged the Southern Regional National History Day Competition in Nashville, Indiana.  I evaluated exhibits from middle school students.  It was a great experience to ask them questions and see how they are able to use primary sources and complete some pretty impressive research projects on the Manhattan Project, Florence Nightingale, the history of fast food, and the Stolen Generation of Australia to name a few.

But back this whole sunburn thing.  This morning it rained.  And it rained.  And it rained some more.  So I stayed in bed and pulled the covers over my head and enjoyed the cool 50-degree morning.  I drank a cup of coffee and listened to the rain through my open window.  This morning I realized that the sound of rain on a roof or running out of a downspout might be one of my favorite sounds. Then I remembered that I was supposed to go on a hike this afternoon with a friend (and her dog!).  Luckily, it cleared up just in time.  And boy did it!  By 3:30 it was 80+ degrees with not a cloud in the sky.  So we took Clear Creek Trail for a two hour hike.  It was definitely a great study break.

After a productive weekend, it's time to kick back and watch the NCAA Women's Final Four!

No comments:

Post a Comment