05 March 2012

Movie Monday: March Madness & Women's History Month

It's that time of year!  The most wonderful time of the year (in my opinion)!  I love March Madness basketball -- always have, always will.  Growing up, I was that annoying 7 year old who would take you to town on bracket predictions -- just ask my dad -- I think I beat him every year when I was little.  I'll spare you my bracketology (and trust me, I could lecture for hours), and jump right into the post...
So to get in the spirit, I thought I would share a film that my parents got me for by birthday last month.  The Mighty Macs is about the Immaculata College women's basketball team and their legendary coach, Cathy Rush.  Talk about an incredible coach -- she built the program from the ground up in the 1970s against insurmountable odds.  Immaculata College was tiny -- only 500 students -- all female.  And somehow, Rush was able to get her team to the very first NCAA championship for women's basketball.   Before Geno Auriema and UConn, before Pat Summitt and the Tennessee Lady Vols, there was Cathy Rush. This story is basically the movie Hoosiers for the women's game.  And it's one of those films that's going to be a classic in my house.  I watched Hoosiers every year on the first day of basketball season, and one day I would like to share Mighty Macs with my future daughter on the first day of her basketball season.  And yes, I will have a daughter someday (if only so I can name her after Amelia Earhart) and I will most definitely share my love the game with her.

And I also plan to share my love of history.  March is women's history month.  So I urge you -- scratch that -- I implore you to celebrate.  Pick up a copy of The Mighty Macs and reflect on just how far the women's game has come.  Read a biography of a woman of your choosing.  I'm hoping to have time over spring break to read this book about Congresswoman Gabrielle Giffords.  So this March, let's celebrate the Emma Willards, the Alice Pauls, the Jeannette Rankins  the Amelia Earharts, and the Cathy Rushes.  Let's celebrate those who helped to empower women.

No comments:

Post a Comment