21 January 2013

Inauguration Day Should Be a Holiday



Was there anything else to do today other than watch the Inauguration?  Not for me.  Just like four years ago, I was glued to the TV screen.    Just like four years ago, I had goosebumps.  Just like four years ago, I was crying tears of joy.  And just life four years ago, I was so proud to have exercised my right to vote and to help elect the President of the United States of America.

His speech writers literally knocked it out of the park.  Who wrote this thing?  Sam Seeborn and Toby Ziegler from the West Wing?  I've always been a fan of his oratorical style, but this speech had some seriously great quotes.  Especially, this one:
"We, the people, declare today that the most evident of truths –- that all of us are created equal –- is the star that guides us still; just as it guided our forebears through Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall"
With that one line "Seneca Falls, and Selma, and Stonewall," Obama linked civil rights with women's rights and gay rights.  Wow.  Not only is it a great alliteration, it is an enormous step forward.  His speech had some of the most inclusive language that I've ever heard from a president.  And what makes it better is that I truly feel that his words are more than rhetoric for him.  That he truly believes what he is saying.  His speech really drew on our unique identity as Americans.  Our national identity is not one that is based on religion, race, or ethnicity.  It is based on a set of ideals that came from the founders of our country -- life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness.  I especially liked the generational theme he had going.  The founding fathers were one generation.  And we are another, still striving to achieve the goals they had for our country.  So in the words of President Obama, "With common effort and common purpose, with passion and dedication, let us answer the call of history and carry into an uncertain future that precious light of freedom."

Okay, I'll admit it.  I'm a politics addict.  And that's why I literally watched C-SPAN from 11:30 am this morning.  I'm also a sucker for a good parade.  Can you imagine being in one of those high school marching bands?  Wow.  That would probably be too overwhelming for me!  I'm also a sucker for Joe Biden.  His smile just melts me.  And the Obamas might be the most adorable First Family ever.
 Exhibit A.

I'm sure I'll be back tomorrow with my thoughts on the Inaugural balls.  We all know that FLOTUS is gonna steal the show!

No comments:

Post a Comment