18 July 2012

What-If Wednesday


What if I could have any job in the entire world?  What would it be?  For some reason I've been thinking about this a lot lately.  Maybe it's because I'm excited to see what the future holds.  Or maybe I'm just tired of being in school and can't wait to have a job.  Yeah, that's probably it.  So here are my top ten jobs -- in no particular order.

1.  Police Detective.  Seemingly very different from what I actually do, but similar in many ways.  I love mysteries and solving puzzles.  And I watch entirely too many crime shows.
2.  The Woman from the movie National Treasure.  I'm not exactly sure what she did, but it seemed like she had a pretty sweet gig.  I mean, she was the keeper of the Declaration of Independence, after all!
3.  Host of a Travel Show.  Could there be a better job?  I don't think so.  Traveling around on a network's dime?  Spending time in fabulous places?  Sign me up!
4.  Professional Basketball Player  Keep dreaming, Grebner.  This was my dream for the longest time.  Sadly, I stopped growing around age 11.
5.  Chief of Staff for a high profile politician.  I want to be the right-hand woman.  Behind the scenes.  It can't happen without the staff.
6.  High Profile Politician.  Or maybe I could try my hand at running for office.  Maybe someday.  If I get over this whole shyness thing, that is.
7.  Director of the Newly-Created Women's Basketball Hall of Fame Archive.  So this doesn't actually exist, but I'd like to think that the one day the Women's Basketball Hall of Fame will add an official archive/research center. 
8.  The U.S. Senate Historian.  I'm currently looking into internships with the archivist in this office in Washington.
9.  Ambassador to Grenada.  A beautiful country with even more beautiful people.  I wouldn't mind spending most of my time there!
10.  And more realistically, an archivist in a political papers archive.  Maybe a Presidential Library.  Maybe a Congressional archive.  Maybe on a university campus.  Maybe as part of a politician's staff.  Who knows!  But I do know that this is probably what I will end up doing.

So there it is -- my Top 10 jobs.  Notice a trend?  Yeah.  This summer I have come to the realization that I know with 100% certainty that  I want to be connected to politics in some way.  I was told today that I'm going to be lost to that world one day.  And my response was, "I hope so!"  Maybe I'll be a staffer, maybe I'll run for office, or maybe I'll just archive their papers.  But if my Internet search history is any indication -- it's pretty much a mixture of Senate bill numbers, public laws, Congressional Record citations, different executive agencies, and White House documents -- I am most definitely a political animal.

No comments:

Post a Comment