07 August 2012

Confessions of an Olympics Addict: Soccer and Kirani James

Since the Opening Ceremony over a week ago, watching the Olympics is literally all I do.  It's been that way since Atlanta in '96.  I don't know what it is, but it consumes me like nothing else can.  And sure, I'm always a fan of watching swimming and gymnastics, but this year it's women's soccer and track and field that have me talking. 

The USWNT's semi-final match against Canada yesterday was just sick.  Sick. 4-3 in extra time with a last second header from Alex Morgan!  Incredible!  And Megan Rapinoe plays the beautiful game beautifully -- she had 2 incredible goals.  I mean it's not every day that you see the person taking the corner score a goal!  I'll admit, I got way too into the game.  And I'm pretty sure at one point I fell off the couch in mid-celebration.  I cannot wait for the championship game with Japan on Thursday afternoon.  It's rematch time!

And then there's Kirani James.  The first medalist the tiny island nation of Grenada has ever had.  And it was GOLD!  I visited Grenada in high school and fell in love.  So I always keep an eye on them in the Olympics.  Last night, tears came to my eyes as the nineteen year old won their first medal and they showed footage of the Spice Island and James's hometown of Gouyave.  Here's some photos of my visit there -- almost 10 years ago now.  

 That's us.  Walking the streets of the tiny fishing village nestled in the hills.
 Who knows...maybe I met Kirani as I visited with children that morning.
It was at this elementary school where I fell head over heels in love with the people of Grenada.  Look at those beautiful smiling faces!
And there's Kirani after his win.  Waving that beautiful flag.  I still have a patch of the Grenadian flag on my book bag...and probably always will.  And just so you know, it's a nutmeg on their flag...not cacao like the commentators last night said.  They grow more nutmeg than any other country in the world.  And I can smell it now just thinking about it!  Congratulations to Kirani James!  He is a great ambassador -- everyone could see how much he truly loves his country!  And I love it too!

No comments:

Post a Comment