26 August 2012

A Weekend Checklist

 Little known fact...I start out every morning with coffee in bed.  It's my favorite time of day.
And the weekends are my favorite time of the week (but who doesn't think that?).  Here's my weekend checklist:  

 1.  Run 5 miles.  Check.  I'm not sure what's gotten into me.  Even when I was in high school I couldn't run that far.  Even when I was playing college basketball I feel like I could barely run over a mile.  I'm chalking it up to cutting back on my dairy consumption.  It's probably a completely bogus reason, but I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life.

2.  Read a book for fun.  Check.  WHAT?  I'm still surprised at this one.  Especially since the first week of classes usually leaves me overwhelmed.  I seriously haven't read a book for fun since last Christmas.  I was starting to get concerned that graduate school had robbed me of one of my favorite things.  And I'm in LIBRARY SCHOOL for crying out loud.  I think I'm supposed to love reading, right?  Or at the very least be capable of reading.  But I bought Hope Solo's autobiography on a whim, hoping that I would get around to it eventually (probably over Christmas).  I'm only a couple chapters away from finishing it!  I'll be sure to blog about it and her incredible story!

3.  Enjoy some friend time.  Check.  Lots of laughter.  Lots of catching up.  Deep conversations.  And history nerd conversations.  Quotes that should be written down.  Sitting in a restaurant until it closes.  Pints of ice cream. I am so thankful for the wonderful group of women that I just happened to talk to on that first day of orientation last year because our mentors weren't at the meeting.  And we've never looked back...

4.  Get my hike on.  Check.  It's probably one of the best parts about living in this part of Indiana.  There's always a new trail to try.  And yesterday we drove out to Brown County to hike in the Yellowwood State Forest.  It was pretty buggy, but there were some beautiful views.  And it made me want to go camping something fierce!  Although those of you who know me well know that camping and I don't tend to get along.  One word for you:  chiggers. 

5.  Go back to High Rock Church.  Check.  I started out going to Sunday services there last fall and quickly fell away as my schedule got too hectic.  But today I made a point to get up and go worship my Lord and Savior on a beautiful August morning.  And I was reminded that no matter how far I wander, God's love is deeper.  So often I get caught up in what I want to do with my life -- what I want to accomplish.  So often I get caught up in wanting to be the best, in wanting to be perfect.  But this morning, I remembered that everything I do, I do for His glory.  And so today I decided that these words will be the theme of my final school year:

I will not boast in anything
No gifts, no power, no wisdom
But I will boast in Jesus Christ
His death and resurrection *

 Have a great week, y'all!

* These words are a verse of the song "How Deep the Father's Love for Us."  We sang it at church this morning -- it's one of my favorites.

2 comments:

  1. This whole entry moved me. I'm so proud of you, lady. I've been wanting to get into church again. I only go when I'm in Chicago. Always excuses. You've made me want to go back. There's one around the corner from me.

    Also, kudos on the other checks as well. You rock!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awww...your comment means a lot to me. For real. I hope your school year is going well, my friend!

    ReplyDelete